Yet another video doorbell offering to let you answer your door from anywhere in the world. A cool promise but does the Doorbird Doorbell live up to this promise as the Ring doorbell we earlier reviewed or does it offer less than the regular Ding-dong doorbell? This review provides answers and you can then decide if it will be next to your front door.
The Doorbird doorbell is manufactured in Germany, a brainchild of the Bird Home Automation Group located in Berlin and San Francisco. Well-crafted and sturdy in appearance, the Doorbird looks the part of a technologically advanced gadget that is pleasing to the eyes and not tacky in design.
Specifications & Features Recap
The Doorbird doorbell specifications
- HDTV 720p dynamic Camera
- Two-way Audio with microphone and speaker. Smart noise and echo cancellation
- 180-degree horizontal, 90 degree vertical wide viewing Angle
- Passive Infrared motion sensor
- 12 infrared led for clear night vision
- IP65 weather proof rating
- Connects with up to 8 devices
- IOS and Android smart-device compatibility (free)
A look into the good and bad
Full packed specification sheet, let’s see the pros and cons of a Doorbird doorbell
- Easy to install (DIY)
- Different designs and colors to choose from
- Stainless steel finishing
- Two-way audio
- Multi connectors available
- Temperature proof
- Cloud recording (optional)
- Customized Self-design feature available (Architect service)
- Pricey ($378+) Most expensive of all top security doorbell cameras
- Not easy to install for everyone
- No inbuilt storage
- Only 16 reviews on smartphone app total
At present, there are about 6 different designs to choose from when considering the Doorbird doorbell. This is in a bid to meet different aesthetic need and purpose. Carefully crafted and manufactured in Germany, each unit makes use of stainless steel faceplate and polycarbonate housing to give a strong and sturdy appearance that is IP65 certified. The dimensions of each design differs but they are nevertheless not too heavy or light as the strato-silver edition displayed below weighs 290g.
The doorbell delivers on its promise of HD video with its clear video quality and two-way audio, this means you get clear video and audio to easily interact with whoever is at your front porch. Night vision isn’t a write off either as the night vision is decent up to about 30 feet. The draw back though is no inbuilt storage which means you don’t get video recording out of the box, what’s available on newer models though is a cloud storage and the ability to take pictures with a push of a button on the app.
Getting the Doorbird Installed
Doorbird assures users that they do not require professional installers or any special tool to install their video doorbell unit. From users reviews and experience, we can state that the regular installation of a Doorbird unit should take an estimated 20-30 minutes max. Simply follow the instruction manual found in the box or the simple steps listed below.
- Detach your existing doorbell
- Locate the wiring in the wall, typically two or more.
- Connect the wiring to the wires of the Doorbird doorbell to power the unit. (Make sure you turn off the power to your front padio during the wiring switches!)
- Proceed to mount it with the screws contained in the box at a minimum height of 154cm from the floor.
- Connect the Doorbird doorbell via Wifi or Ethernet to your internet router
- Voila! You are done, proceed to receive push notifications with real-time video and audio feeds when a visitor approaches or ring your doorbell.
To further enhance user’s Experience, the Doorbird doorbell offers some add-ons available as separate purchase to ensure users get the full functionality of the unit. These add-ons include:
- The Birdguard: An indoor/outdoor camera unit that enables you see what your visitor is up to when they gain entry into your home. It comes complete with a siren blaster of up to 100Db to scare intruders if and when necessary.
- The Doorbird door chime: for homes without a door chime, this Wi-Fi enabled door chime enables you know when someone is at the door especially when your phone isn’t close by.
- Door and window sensors: Available for doors windows and gates, these sensors help you know if your doors or windows are left open when you leave the house by the touch of a button on the Doorbird app. Battery powered, it also sends notifications when someone opens your door or windows when you are not home.
These addons essentially helps to better the user experience of the video door bell.
Doorbird doorbell provides support for virtually every facets of usage of its doorbell. Well detailed and elaborate guide are available on the support page and also for download. Categories covered include:
- Installation guides (sorted out by models)
- Online connectivity check
- Application user manual for both iOS and android devices
- Quick start guides to get started.
- Installation video for those who prefer visual guides
- Drilling template guide
FAQ: There exist a different category of FAQ with answers to possible questions that users or intending buyers may like to ask. No call in customer support.
Our final thoughts before ‘flying away’…
Having a Doorbird doorbell installed on your front door might make you wonder how you ever got by without it. With the numerous features it boast of and the variety of models available, Doorbird gets a pass mark as it hold its own against the competitors.